Friday, March 30, 2007

Chocolate Jesus???

So an artist has decided to make a sculpture of Jesus made completely from... chocolate.

It depicts Jesus on a cross, completely nude, and anatomically correct.Catholic groups are up in arms, but not for the reason that you might think. They are more upset with the timing of the release... right in the middle of the holiest time in the Christian calender.

And they're right.

Part of living in the United States is respecting the free speech of others. If you have forgotten about this... please click below.



The other part of living in America is when something is just in poor taste... you speak out about it.

The sad thing is that the artist in this case is doing nothing more than admitting that he has no talent. Releasing the sculpture during Holy Week says that he doesn't have any confidence that his "art" could succeed on its own merits.

Of course it couldn't.

But people realize that free publicity from the media makes anything a success. Protests outside of the exhibit will do the same thing. Let's try something else.

When I was younger, my parents told me that if I just ignored bullies, they would go away. Something tells me that the same thing would work with talentless artists.

Ignore it, and it will go away.

Pay attention to it, and it makes a bunch of money... and more people try to use the same tactics.

Jesus doesn't need us to fight for him. His Dad is bigger and stronger than anyone else's dad.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you living under a rock? The chocolate Jesus show has been cancelled.

Gohmann said...

If you look at the time when I wrote the blog, you will notice that the show had not been canceled as yet.

As far as whether or not I live under a rock? That is debatable.

However, I do appreciate the kind words. Have a lovely, Chocolate Jesus-Free weekend!

Cliff said...

Gohmann,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, canceled or otherwise.

This "chocolate Jesus" is a mockery to the suffering and shame that my savior did for me.

I believe that Jesus was totally naked when he was on the cross as part of the shame he suffered on behalf of the sins of those who would accept his sacrifice. I don't believe Jesus has to suffer the shame any more.

Anyone who would try to make a buck from this depiction is no better than the televangelists who beg for money from those on fixed incomes.

Let me finish by stating that the Jesus I worship is not on the cross or in the grave, but on the right hand of the Father.